Homer Chamber of Commerce
has to its new site at http://homeralaska.org
The Winner of the 1998 Homer
Halibut Derby was Sean Coy of Wasilla, Alaska.
He fished with a
Halibut was caught
1998 Homer Halibut Derby Winner!
Sean Coy of Wasilla, Alaska
"Wasilia Man wins $25,282 in Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby"
The Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby came to a successful close on Labor Day, September 7th. We had another great sportfishing season in Homer. The thirteenth annual derby has proven once again to be an ever-lasting money winner!
This year"s jackpot grew to $25,282 and will be received by Sean Coy of Wasilla Alaska. Sean was fishing on his friend's boat in Kachemak Bay on lndependance Day when he landed his prized halibut. The large halibut weighed in at 320.8 lbs. and could not be beat for the rest of the summer. Sean will receive his prize money at the annual Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby Banquet held at the Homer Elks Lodge on September 18, 1998.
Including the jackpot prize the Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby gave away a total of $41,782 in cash prizes. These prizes were given to our twenty monthly big fish winners, eight monthly raffle prize winners, four tagged fish winners and our big jackpot winner! This year's derby had a record number of $10,000 tagged fish available but none had been caught.
Special thanks to the local support from residents and businesses in Homer that made our derby a great success. Remember it's never too early to start thinking about your next Homer Halibut fishing vacation! Come to Homer next summer for your chance to win the big jackpot!
First Place: Tom Wilson,WesthamptonNY,-281.2 lbs.-Caught on 8/7/98-Silver
Fox Charters "Silver Fox 4' Skipper, Bryan Nollar
HOMER JACKPOT HALIBUT DERBY
1. DERBY WILL RUN FROM MAY 1ST THROUGH 9 PM. LABOR DAY.
2. ALL FISH MUST BE TAKEN ON SPORT TACKLE ONLY.
3. ALL CONTESTANTS MUST HAVE OFFICIAL DERBY TICKET IN POSSESSION AT THE TIME OF CATCH. ANGLERS MUST COMPLY WITH THE ALASKA FISH AND GAME REGULATIONS.
4.TICKETS MAY BE PURCHASED ONE DAY IN ADVANCE BUT FISH MUST BE CAUGHT ON THE DATE PUNCHED IN THE TICKET.
5. TICKETS MUST BE PURCHASED FROM OFFICIAL TICKET VENDOR. PRICE IS $7.00 PER DAILY DERBY TICKET OR $12.00 FOR OVERNIGHT TICKET.
6. CONTESTANTS MUST DEPART FROM AND RETURN TO THE HOMER HARBOR.
7. ALL ENTRY FISH MUST BE WEIGHED IN AT THE DERBY HEAD-QUARTERS BEFORE 9 PM. ON THE DAY CAUGHT. aLL ENTRY FISH CAUGHT ON AN OVERNIGHT TICKET MUST BE WEIGHED IN ON THE SECOND DAY OF THE TICKET DATES BETWEEN 7:AM AND 9:PM.
8. CONTESTANTS ENTERING AND WEIGHING FISH AT THE DERBY HEAD-QUARTERS MUST COMPLETE OFFICIAL FORMS AVAILABLE THERE. AT LEAST ONE WITNESS MUST TESTIFY THAT THE FISH WAS CAUGHT IN ACCORDANCE WITH OFFICIAL DERBY RULES. CLEANING OF CONTENDING FISH MAY BE SUPERVISED BY THE DERBY OFFICIAL. WEIGHING MUST BE DONE ACCORDING TO THE STANDARD DERBY PROCEDURE AND CERTIFIED BY WEIGH-IN OFFICIAL.
9. IN THE EVENT THAT THE MONTHLY PRIZE WINNER QUALIFIES FOR THE JACKPOT PRIZE (FIRST PLACE) THAT ANGLER WILL BE AWARDED THE LARGER PRIZE AND THE ANGLER CATCHING THE NEXT LARGEST (FOR THAT MONTH) WILL BE AWARDED THE TOP MONTHLY PRIZE.
10. THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR DERBY PARTICIPATION: 1998 EMPLOYEES OR OWNERS OF A CHARTER COMPANY; IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBERS OF 1998 EMPLOYEES OR OWNERS OF A CHARTER COMPANY; 1998 JACKPOT DERBY COMMITTEE MEMBERS; 1998 EMPLOYEES OF THE HOMER CHAMBER OF COMMERCE.
11. ALL ENTRIES ARE SUBJECT TO REVIEW AND FINAL DETERMINATION REGARDING THE AWARDING OF PRIZES RESTS WITH THE JACKPOT DERBY COMMITTEE.
12. VIOLATION OF ANY RULE WILL DISQUALIFY CONTESTANT.
13. THE HOMER CHAMBER OF COMMERCE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO PHOTOGRAPH ALL DERBY ENTRANTS; REPRODUCE ANY PHOTOGRAPHS FOR PUBLICITY PURPOSES; AND RETAIN ALL PHOTO RIGHTS
email us at email@example.com